veryworried Jan 22 11:04 5

Good morning doctors, This article last year says that 4th gen rapid tests isnt suitable for acute infections. Do you think its true or are they experimenting differently from real cases? Worried that sd bioline duo rapid test is not detecting hiv post 28 days. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4645957/pdf/aids-29-2465.pdf Thank you.

Dr. Tan

The 4th gen tests we use are ideal for acute infections. This is what it is testing for, so they can still be used. The study is limited in that it only looks at one brand of test (and not all brands are equal) so it cannot be broadly applied to other 4th gen testing kits.

veryworried

I see. In that case why is sd bioline ideal for acute infections? Were there clinically proven studies to support that? Because im aware sg only has alere and sd bioline 4th gen (excluding the oral rapid tests).. If one of two approved test kits in singapore is already shown to be not accurate in testing acute infections how are we sure that the sdbioline is? Anyway I tested with sd bioline 1/2 at 80+ days. Also tested sd bioline agab at 5th and 6th week. I read that article then it made me worried again. Thanks for clarifying doctor!

Dr. Tan

This is because there was a study done showing the accuracy rates of nearly all the rapid kits available. I can't remember where it is exactly but a google search may show it up. I remember it showing poor accuracy for Alere testing kits but SD bioline achieved 100% accuracy, which is impressive.

veryworried

Got it. Thanks Dr Sim. So I can conclusively assume I am HIV negative from my previous rapid tests? 80+ days sd bioline 1/2 and 5 and 6 weeks sd bioline duo?

Dr. Tan

Yes your tests are conclusive.